Tomato "Alicante" under cold glass |
It may seem a pity
to turn sound, ripe red tomatoes
into chutney, but if there is a glut in the garden,
then make this extraordinarily versatile
companion to fish, cheese and meats.
Ingredients to yield about
4 lb (1.8kg)
- 6 lb (2.7 kg) ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb (450g) onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 oz (25g) salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- ½ pint (275/300 ml) spiced distilled or malt vinegar
- 12 oz (350g) white or brown sugar
Put the tomatoes and onions in a large, heavy-based
pan. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20-30 minutes
Add the salt, spices and half the vinegar
and cook gentle for about 45 minutes more, or
Add the sugar and the rest
of the vinegar, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
until thick, stirring
occasionally. Pot and
Leave to mature for at least 3-5 weeks.